Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Surprisingly entertaining performance "Solo/Tongues" at Cal State Hayward!


I went to the Solo/Tongues performance last night (Nov 14), opening night, somewhat holding my breath in expectation of something so arty that it would bore me.

I was wrong: It was terrific!
The Solo portion consists of five monologues, each interesting, fun, funny, and expertly performed. A "hostess" welcomes you to Celebrity Slaveships. A Chinese student who loves computer games confesses that he's gay--and tall! A Chicano answers "Ask a Mexican!" And an Indian immigrant takes refuge imagining herself a Bollywood movie princess.
The Tongues part started off ominously, with two barefoot musicians playing accordians and walking up and down the aisles repeatedly, followed by babble from speakers placed around the theater. This went on too long and I was sure I was stuck in a Noh play.

Then the performance proper started, with a group of women singing--one in particular had a voice that simply stood out wonderfully.

Then the two or three dozen performers started careening around the stage, dancing, moving, singing, declaiming, scampering from one part of the stage to another -- and the chaos they created became mesmerizing, fascinating, eye-catching, vividly interesting.

I understood none of the cognitive elements of the play itself -- I have no idea what was supposed to be going on; that's where the artsy part came in -- but the whole busy, wild, dramatic, astonishing performance held me spellbound and delighted for the next hour.

It was - terrific! Entertaining! Go see it if you haven't already. Take your friends, including the ones who (like me) don't really much like "art" in my theatrical experiences -- however reluctant we are when we show up, we'll leave entirely entertained! Really! This is not just a performance for the art-in-crowd - it's something everyone will enjoy, even though it's hard to explain what goes on, or what it means.

Great, great fun! (In fact, I think I might come back next weekend and see it again.)

No comments: