Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Retired Life: Every Day Isn't Sunday, It's SATURDAY!

The first thing I learned about my first year of retirement is that every day isn't Sunday, which is the cliche and imagined way of life once you don't have to work for a living or for a paycheck.

No -- every day is SATURDAY!

At least for the first year or two. Saturday, of course, is CHORES DAY.

You get to spend all your time catching up on 30 years worth of chores. Chores yu spent 30 years avoiding, using Work as your excuse. Now you got few excuses, so you're stuck.

Or you're really lazy, which is my problem.

So mainly I do little piddling chores, things my wife sticks me with, things that can be done easily even for a lazy man.

The big stuff -- that just continues to hang over me....

For example, under the house is all our stored stuff, in a jumble. Digging all that junk out, sorting it, tossing some, filing others, putting up shelves and stuff.... oy! what a pain! And it will take DAYS and DAYS and -- well, I assume so, because after a year, I still haven't STARTED it!

My Plan, What It Is
I plan to start Planning.

I have a paper with all my Big Plans, all my Wish List plans, all my Wouldn't It Be Nice plans. I need to place these fine plans into a yearly calendar. I might even need to plan over, say, the course of 5 years. Why do everything at once? Why not do SOMETHING now, at least, and other things later?

I'll keep you posted. Right now, I'm too lazy to do it.

No comments: